Important - we will send you an email to confirm this!
Retype Email Address:
A lowercase letter
A capital (uppercase) letter
A special character (£$%&*!)
Minimum 9 characters
All fields are required
Do you currently live in the UK?
Do you have the right to volunteer in the UK?
For more information about accepting volunteers from outside the UK, please check here.
My age is:
15 or under
18 or above
It is necessary to request the information provided in this system so we can facilitate your volunteering opportunity with EngineeringUK (“EUK”). EUK will be receiving and using personal data from you in connection with volunteering opportunities and will only share your name and surname with our event registration contractor (The Ticket Factory) and our event production contractor (Fresh) for the purposes of the volunteering opportunities. View our obligations under data protection law
Yes, I want to proceed and submit my details:
Volunteers who are under 18 must provide us with a signed parental consent form. We will contact you about this shortly after submitting your application.
Thank you for your interest in the work of EngineeringUK and The Big Bang Education. One of your answers has indicated that you are not currently suitable to volunteer for us. This is because, to do so, you must be aged 16 years or over, currently reside in the UK and the right to volunteer. There is a range of volunteering opportunities available through local Volunteer Bureaus and on the national volunteering website at http://www.do-it.org.uk.
Please review the following and indicate your agreement below. print version
The Big Bang Volunteers Terms and Conditions
The Big Bang programme
EngineeringUK delivers The Big Bang programme across the UK. The Big Bang programme encompasses The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair (also known as The Big Bang Fair) and The Big Bang Near Me programme.
1. The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair is delivered by Big Bang Education CIC (a subsidiary of EngineeringUK), in partnership with the British Science Association, the Science Council, the Royal Academy of Engineering and Young Engineers.
The Big Bang Volunteers Agreement
Volunteers are an important and valued part of The Big Bang. We hope that you enjoy volunteering with us and feel a full part of our team. This agreement tells you what you can expect from us, and what we expect from you. We aim to be flexible, so please let us know if there is anything we could change to make your volunteering experience more enjoyable and we will do our best to accommodate it.
As a volunteer for The Big Bang you can expect:
• To be involved in a programme that is dedicated to inspiring young people in science, technology, engineering and maths and to encourage them to think about potential careers using these subjects;
• Opportunities to either help influence young people’s attitudes towards STEM subjects; through supporting careers sessions and hands-on activities or opportunities to help us achieve this through supporting us with operational requirements at The Big Bang Fair;
• A supportive and positive environment to help you enjoy volunteering;
• To be treated with respect and courtesy;
• To be treated fairly regardless of age; being or becoming a transsexual person; being married or in a civil partnership; being pregnant or having a child; disability; race including colour, nationality ethnic or national origin; religion, belief or lack of religion/belief; gender; sexual orientation;
• Us to provide sufficient training for the event you attend, including health & safety information and training for your role;
• A named contact for support;
• Recognition and thanks;
• Sustenance and refreshments at the event/s at which you are volunteering;
• Adequate public liability insurance;
• Respect to your right to privacy.
In return we ask that you:
• Support our vision, purpose, goals and values (http://www.thebigbangfair.co.uk/About_Us/);
• Remember that you are a representative of The Big Bang when volunteering at the Big Bang Fair;
• Adhere to our health and safety, equal opportunities and privacy policies for volunteers
• Follow our instructions as briefed by a member of the team at the event you are volunteering at;
• Are open and honest in your dealings with us;
• Treat fellow volunteers and staff with courtesy and respect;
• Reach a shared understanding with us regarding your role and commitment;
• Let us know if you wish to no longer be involved in volunteering for The Big Bang or cannot attend a specific event you have signed up for;
• Let us know if we can improve the service and support that you receive.
The following policy applies to individuals volunteering for an event as part of The Big Bang programme, whether delivered by EngineeringUK or one of our partners.
Statement of policy
Upon registering as a volunteer for The Big Bang, your details will be submitted to EngineeringUK.
If you have registered to volunteer at The Big Bang Fair, the following will apply:
a) You will either be directly managed by EngineeringUK or through an external partner, depending on your role. If you are designated a role that is coordinated on-site by another agency, including, but not limited to, the British Science Association, Inspiring Futures or Fresh, your contact details and any relevant background will be passed to this agency for the purposes of this event only.
Your personal information will be kept confidential within the delivery partners and agencies that work with us for The Big Bang Fair and will never be released externally without your prior permission.
Photography and filming will take place at our events and images and videos produced may include volunteers. All images and film taken by or on behalf of EngineeringUK or their partner organisations will be the respective property of those parties and EngineeringUK or their partners will use this material for business purposes as they so wish. Unless you notify us in writing to state otherwise, EngineeringUK will assume that any photos featuring you can be used for business purposes, including but not limited to; in subsequent marketing materials, in newsletters, online and in any other publication relating to EngineeringUK and Big Bang Education CIC events or activities.
You may be asked to provide a quote about your experience of volunteering or about the event itself, at the event at which you are volunteering. We may also ask you open questions in any subsequent evaluations (however you will be specifically asked permission at this stage to use your quotes either anonymously or crediting your name). If you do not wish to be quoted, please inform us at the time you are asked to provide one or tick the boxes in the evaluation to confirm that you do not wish to be quoted.
We will contact you about any of the events you have volunteered for, as well as to let you know about other opportunities to volunteer in your region. You will also be added to the monthly volunteering newsletter mailing list. We may contact you in the future to let you know about other related opportunities you may be interested in that we are involved in.
Expectations of volunteers
Volunteers of The Big Bang are expected to adhere to EngineeringUK’s guidance on privacy as outlined above. Specifically, if you come into contact with any information about other volunteers, members of staff, a member of the public or anyone else involved in the event/s you are attending, we expect you to keep this information confidential and only use it for the purposes of the task asked of you at the event at which you are volunteering.
Volunteers are asked to notify EngineeringUK/Big Bang Education CIC in writing if they do not give permission for images and film of them, as well as quotes from them, to be used. Volunteers should email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to EngineeringUK, 5th Floor, Woolgate Exchange, 25 Basinghall Street, London, EC2V 5HA. Where volunteers have not given notice of refusal, EngineeringUK/Big Bang Education CIC will assume permission has been granted.
Any volunteer found to be acting in an unprofessional manner may be asked to leave the event they are attending, immediately.
or cancel signup
don't have an email address? click here
PAAM Data Protection and Privacy
'PAAM' and the PAAM logo are registered trademarks
The PAAM Staff and Volunteer Software App is copyright - all rights reserved